Thursday, October 6, 2016

This weekend, the museum will host fourteen renowned art and antique dealers in our Fourth Annual Fall for Antiques Show and Sale.  Vendors will be traveling to the MRM from four different states, and will transform our galleries into mini-antique booths offering museum-quality items for purchase.    Here's a post I wrote a couple months ago about Mark and Linda Winter, who will be participating in this year's event and bringing a master weaver to demonstrate her skills.  It has been reported to be a very fun and exciting weekend here at the museum, and described as “not your typical antiques show” by one of the event organizers.  As the new(ish) director of the museum, I was asked to be the featured lecturer for this year’s event, and I have been working with our curator, Carmela Quinto, to create a presentation that is not your typical lecture.  If you’ve been keeping up with my blog posts or our newsletters, you will note that it is the museum’s 60th anniversary this year, and we at the MRM have been working hard to celebrate our history.  Many of our special exhibits this year, such as Millicent as Visionary, Santa Fe Indian School Style, and Crossing Paths, highlight works from the permanent collection that have not been exhibited for years or, in some cases, ever.  In the spirit of our fashionista namesake, Carmela and I have organized a Pueblo pottery “fashion show,” which entails pulling pots from our collections vault and walking them through the crowd during my presentation.  This allows visitors to see the pots up close and personal, and I think it will add a more energetic and exciting element to my talk.  I’ve really enjoyed this opportunity to familiarize myself with our pottery collection, and I look forward to sharing this experience with our visitors.  Here’s a sneak peek at a few of the pots we’ll be featuring at my presentation this Saturday at 2 p.m.  If you would like to learn more about our special events, exhibits, or our permanent collection, please see our website or sign up for our newsletter
   



No comments:

Post a Comment